Want to do your bit to fight climate change? UN scientists say eat more plants

• Community Manager
  • 7108 replies
A new report from the United Nations says more people need to switch to a “plant-based” diet to combat climate change.

The UN has ‘stopped short’ of saying we all need to become vegan, but especially in the West we need to significantly reduce the amount of meat we eat.

UN scientists, the BBC reports, say if we ate less meat then the land could be used more effectively, and store more of the carbon emitted by humans.

Livestock rearing also contributes to global warming through the methane gas the animals produce, but also via deforestation to expand pastures, for example.

Has anyone thought about reducing the amount of meat you eat?

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I was hearing about PEA milk yesterday too, may try it, I can deffo see myself being fully vegan quite soon. I’ve been veggie over 30 years but the transition to vegan has been more gradual. Started end Jan this year, may be fully vegan by end of year but not putting timescale on it.
Bev;34904:
I was hearing about PEA milk yesterday too, may try it, I can deffo see myself being fully vegan quite soon. I’ve been veggie over 30 years but the transition to vegan has been more gradual. Started end Jan this year, may be fully vegan by end of year but not putting timescale on it.

Sounds like you're already doing more than enough @Bev
No need to force it. Is it cheese that's stopping you from going the Full Monty? 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
I haven’t struggled to eat less 🧀🧀🧀to be fair Marc, and I hardly touch eggs, but to go vegan 100% like I did when going veggie, and not be able to just have the occasional cheese in a recipe when needed or fancied it, yes it’s prob that at the moment that is meaning I’m only 90% there. I’m there with all the soya milks and yoghurts and love all the vegan produce like the fish and plant burgers. It’s deffo doable and I’m close, but not yet labelling myself vegan until can give it 110% yes.
A Uni in London has just banned the sale of hamburgers to help tackle climate change, as part of their aim to become carbon neutral by 2025.

Should more universities follow suit?😕
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I don't think it will make much difference, wherever there is a uni, there is normally a plethora of fast food establishments nearby

A new study suggests that our global food system is the “primary driver” of species extinction.

The farmland created so we can eat cheap meat is “a major contributor to global greenhouse gas emissions [and] our food system is also driving climate change.”

Sorry for the depressing news but we should be aware of this, right?

Here’s a link to the full report and here’s a article in The Guardian about it.

Right

Badge +3

@Marc If you have Netflix then David Attenborough’s documentary A Life on our Planet is worth a watch: David Attenborough Urges People To Ditch Meat In New Film (greenqueen.com.hk)

Channel 4 also broadcasted Apocalypse Cow in January 2020: Apocalypse Cow: How Meat Killed the Planet - All 4 (channel4.com)

Thanks for the tips @myauntie I’m adding the Attenborough doc to Netflix list now.

I did see ‘Cowspiracy’ about four years go. Have you seen it yet? I went vegan pretty soon after watcing it! 

(Since then I’ve dabbled a bit with fish and a little bit of dairy, mostly to make life easier around others. I’m all for promoting veganism but not enforcing it, if you know what I mean!)

ooh, while I’m here, another interesting report out today.

According to the boss of Unilever (which owns Marmite of course) they’re seeing a large increase in sales of vegan foods. 

Here’s a nice line:

Analysts have predicted the value of the global plant-based food and drink market could soar by more than 1,000% to exceed £100bn by the end of the decade. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think this bad boy will deffo increase sales of Vegan foods 💕🤞🙃👍🌶

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/05/marmite-launches-spicy-new-dynamite-flavour-14028678/

I’ve forgotten how to do that rename thingy on a link 😖🤔🤔🤔🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’ve forgotten how to do that rename thingy on a link 😖🤔🤔🤔🤔

I've never known how to do that rename thingy, I gave tried but never succeeded, I don't know if it's only a PC thing

It’s just here our @Bev 

Select a word and hit the magic thingy

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Oh, sooooo kind, thanks our 25 notes, I’ll give it a try Duppy! 

Chilli Marmite!!!!!!!!!

Oh, fantastic! Thank you soooooo much!

If you eat beef you are eating plants! Well indirectly. Just remember that Nature established a food chain of which we are all part. Tell a lion it must eat grass! Tell a hedgehog it cannot eat slugs!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I wouldn’t tell a 🦁it must eat grass, or a 🦔 it cannot eat slugs. Just like I wouldn’t tell anyone they couldn’t eat meat. It’s about personal choice, but at the end of the day, if people are made more aware of their options, and the increasing range of available plant based food, they may give it a try one, two or more days a week🤷‍♀️. I do what’s best for my body, and listen to how foods affect it, and eat what works best for me. It’s just about choice 😉

Quite right @Bev . It is all about common sense and balance. I fully understand somebody not eating meat or only occasionally to ensure their diet is properly balanced. That makes sense. We should all do it from time to time but what I find difficult to accept is those who don’t do it for health reasons but simply because it’s animal.  The whole world is meant to be in balance with an ordered food chain, well it ought to be.

Which reminds me. I was Singapore some years back and went to a Chinese restaurant. The whole menu was in Chinese, the waitress spoke little English so I said “You choose.” The first course came. Absolutely delicious. I so told my waitress and asked her what it was. She said “You no want to know”!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Was it 🦇🦇🦇🤷‍♀️😉?