Hot Topic

The Community’s second 21 Day Challenge - We’re walking to COP26 in October 2021

The Community’s second 21 Day Challenge - We’re walking to COP26 in October 2021
  • Community Manager
  • 999 replies

Hello everyone and welcome to the Community’s second 21 day challenge! 

What is a 21 day challenge I hear you ask? Well, apparently it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. And we’d like to try and make some more sustainable habits in our everyday lives. So, members of the PP team, as well as Community members, are teaming up each month to tackle a new challenge. And hopefully, some of the changes will stick! Our first challenge in September was a roaring success as we took to eating seasonally for 21 days. You can read more about the idea here, too.

9xZ1JBmWbfIkI5-oN5JTVbNPBnuqYAr87nJ6T-5udbEi9c-jcWpxwlvOd05ZEQtO6I7Ksl5nrJc42T3WSpj9Mv3VD6j5Hf_xDsj6c7NSd3JjFak8DUOemj9l2Hit3nK9G_MVS5OW=s0

In honour of the UN Climate Change Conference,COP26, this October we’ll be virtually walking to the conference from Pure Planet’s Bath office, and back again, in time for a good cup of tea and a natter. The conference starts on 31 October, and is being held in Glasgow this year, so we’ll be making our way through England and up across the border. We’ll be passing through many places for coffee and cake on the way, including one of the world's biggest wind farms, and Sporty Spice's home town!

It’s a 740 mile round trip, which according to my magic step calculator is 1,562,880 steps - nothing a few laps around the garden can’t achieve! I’ll be totalling up our step count along the way, as well as giving updates as to where we’ve reached on our journey. 

We’ll use the replies section below to all post our progress, including plenty of pictures and updates. Walking more is a small change which we hope will reduce our carbon footprints, as we take to the pavements, rather than the roads. Plus, it’s a great way to stay active, and get outdoors!

Championing this month’s theme are our very own @Bev and @Antski plus PP team members @Annakin, @Al O, @KerrieL, @charlotterose, @Nick Burton, @AliBear, @Alberts and myself too! :blush:

Let’s see if we can reach 1,562,880 steps by 21 October!

114 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks Mads! Looking forward to this second challenge indeed 👍🏃‍♀️👟👟

Now picture this…

We’ve arrived at PP’s very own headquarters at The Square on Lower Bristol Road, in the beautiful city of Bath. The coffee machine is whirling, and @Bev and I have packed enough pasta to feed an army. 

Our backpacks are full and were dressed for all weathers, the rain shall not stop us. After a nice hearty breakfast we’re ready to embark on day one of our great adventure! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hee hee hee, ooooh all that idyllic countryside and farm animals 💕💕💕💕💕

Lovely coffee our Mads ☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️Hee hee. Gosh indeed I think I probably HAVE got enough pasta to feed all ten of us right now hee hee hee!!!!!!!!!!!! 🤣👍Carrying it may prove tricky but here’s to trying! 

And we’re off……………. 👍👏🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️🕺🤸‍♀️

Good luck everyone! 👟👟

Badge

Hi everyone - 1.5m steps eh? That does sound a lot but I’m sure we can do this!

I’m lucky to live in the beautiful town of Bradford on Avon, which I absolutely love and I’ll be posting some pics as I walk around the area during the 21 days.

This is the view from the top of town - on a clear day you can see as far as the Westbury white horse (though I think I’ll need a better camera to capture that!)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey gang, so pleased to finally get involved in this great community!

Wilson will be very pleased with the extra long walks from now on (It’s a shame we can’t count his steps too!)

Looking forward to smashing this challenge :punch:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oh wowsa, how idyllic does your little town look, Al! That is so gorgeous, with the lovely little church! Really does look picturesque.

Ah look at your Wilson, Nick hee hee, he’s looking as if to say “we’re walking HOW far?! 😳😳😳😳You have got to be ruddy joking!” 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣I’m sure he will love it, what a gorgeous dog! 🐾

It’s great to see new names and faces for this second challenge, it’s going to be great fun! 👍

I started just indoors today, but managed these “hall runs” as I call them, this morning. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi everyone - 1.5m steps eh? That does sound a lot but I’m sure we can do this!

I’m lucky to live in the beautiful town of Bradford on Avon, which I absolutely love and I’ll be posting some pics as I walk around the area during the 21 days.

This is the view from the top of town - on a clear day you can see as far as the Westbury white horse (though I think I’ll need a better camera to capture that!)

The Pam Ayres programme from Bradford on Avon this week was good @Al O , did you catch it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Who's doing the tallying for this @Mads?

I got off to a good start. 2 dog walks, the weather was great. Also lots and lots of walking round the house getting ready for my trip away on Sunday.

Luna was keen to go out today as you can see from the last photo.

Anyway, 23,292 steps today

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I'm going up to Glasgow (it's like a big version of Bath @Mads) on Sunday. I'll have to do my daily walk to the SEC, the COP26 venue!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Gorgeous photos our Ant! 👍👏Bet Luna loves all that walking! Amazing amount of steps! 😳You’ll have the challenge completed single handedly (footed 👟👟🏃‍♂️🤣) if you keep going at that rate 😅🙃. You SHOULD have walked to Glasgow for Sunday 🤣😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

So how’s everybody getting on so far hee hee? 🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️👟👟👢👢👞👞🙃

Such early early days yet, and absolute relentless monsoon ☔️and gales 💨💨💨here in the Midlands most of today, and sooooooo dark 🌚. NOT ideal walking weather at all is it, if for pleasure, but every little helps, as they say 🛒😁so here’s today’s total.from me. 🤭

It all adds up 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Had some pretty good conditions at times on Saturday, so cracked another good few thousand on my last day at home for 3 weeks. In a bit of good news, we may be visiting the Isle of Man en route down to Falmouth, I've never been before so looking forward to that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Here's where we are headed folks! The Scottish Event Campus at Kelvinhaugh. I walked there today via a side-trip to Kelvingrove Art Galleries and museum - brilliant exhibitions.

About 10 km on foot in deck shoes - my heels are a bit tender now, after all that tarmac! I'll post my overall days steps later.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Squinty Bridge over the River Clyde from the airport bus.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Lovely pics our Ant 👏👍

Smashing amount of steps! My total today is too pitiful 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣so I won’t post 😊🙃🤭

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No dog to walk up here, but with a big metropolis to wander in I did manage a decent total. Most of my walk did revolve around the SEC visit, but at the same time got to look round all of Kelvingrove Art Galleries, which has been a goal for a while.

20,429 steps today. My total so far: 60,704.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Impressive steps, our Ant 😳👏 👍

So our first week begins! Enjoy it everyone! 👍🙃🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️

Morning everyone :sun_with_face:

@Bev some fantastic hallway steps in there, very impressive - how many laps do you think you did?!

@Antski Luna is looking beautiful in the sun there! Incredible that you’ve gone to Glasgow, such fab timing for our challenge, now we can all picture our final destination better! I’m keeping a tally of our steps and will update everyone in this thread on our overall progress every few days. 

I moved house this weekend, so I’m not sure my step count will be anything magnificent, if this was a challenge of assembling Ikea furniture then I’d be off to a grand start! I planned a walk yesterday and then it started pouring down with rain so the walk turned into a walk to the pub for a roast. (I can’t say I’m mad about this because it was delicious:smile: ). 

I’ll check my steps for the weekend this afternoon and post back in here! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Exciting re your house move tho, Mads! 👍I bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised just how many steps that kinda thing generates without you even realising, 

Indeed re the rain. I do like walking in the rain, weird I know ☔️🏃‍♀️🤣but only really when can do it by the sea hee hee, so very rare. Doesn’t have the same feel on a main road being splashed by cars 😳🤣🤣, so the indoor runs it was. I did used to count each length our Mads, indeed. Since getting the iphone tho, I no longer need to. Just do what I can then browse the steps. Funny, as sometimes when I think I’ve done rubbish, I am over 10,000 steps, then when that’s my aim, it seems to stay on 4000 forever 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I think we just sit back and let our Ant keep building up the tally JK JK JK 😊🙃😉😁

PS Where have you got to our Albert? @Alberts 😳🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Bev I saw Speedo Mick on Saturday on my way to Falmouth, in the pelting rain, poor bloke! It was not long after he'd been asked to leave a pub because they said they'd never heard of him and didn't want him in there dressed just in budgie smugglers! It all ended well in the end, the pub must had a quick change of heart and gave him a hot drink and some locals took him a Cornish pasty and a drink.

Speedo Mick Foundation

https://twitter.com/speedomick/status/1444932350249512965?s=19

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Can’t say I’d heard of him either our Ant, so bet it was a bit of a shock to the regulars 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Good on him tho 👏👏 👍👍👏👏🍺🏃‍♂️, good work. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi guys! 

Great photos everyone but especially @Antski ! :heart_eyes: 

I haven’t been walking much lately due to the horrible weather but still managed to push over 10k per day ( I’ve been walking minimum 10k steps per day since April, not a day missed so far! ).

Friday was running errands around rainy Bath, Saturday was my son’s football game on a wet and windy field and yesterday a National Trust ( Lacock ) visit with the obligatory tea and cake. :coffee::cake:

Didn’t take any photos though but, with the weather improving slightly I will try to be better this week!

Thanks for checking on me @Bev , how are you doing? What’s your favourite place to go for a walk in your area?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oh great to see you our Albert, and soooo impressed that you’ve stuck to your 10k steps per day, and never missed 😳😳😳😳😳😳. That’s always my intention but body often says a firm no come 6 or 7000. 

Sadly mainly residential, main roads as inner city, Albert, but my aim all year, has been to try head to the country park, which isn’t TOO far and did used to do it regularly and easily, but issues with shoulders and ribs last 18 months, so having to listen to body more, but going to sooooo try do it within this 21 day challenge number 2, to at least get some lovely photographs, rather than just step count picture. 

Incidentally, what is the app yourself and Ant are using, our Albert? 🤷‍♀️

Userlevel 4
Badge

It’s Samsung Health @Bev , don’t have a Samsung phone but I do have it connected to my watch, it’s not too bad.

Definitely, health comes first so you need to listen to your body! Even if you won’t make it to the country park I’m sure you can take some nice photos of your close surroundings :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Indeed our Albert, my mindset exactly, but want to really try hard. Like you say tho, listening is paramount. The motivation is there 500% so we’ll see. 

Looks a good fun app. I do love the Apple health app but only use it for steps currently. Guess will explore it more, with time. 

Glorious day, with a biting nine degrees ❄️☀️