talking of Hydrogen...SGN receives the go-ahead to build the world’s-first hydrogen heating network

• 1 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 10177 replies

World-first zero carbon hydrogen-to-homes project gets the green light

Interesting

The energy regulator will award up to £18 million from its annual Network Innovation Competition to support development of the new hydrogen network, triggering a further investment of £6.9m from the Scottish Government. SGN shareholders and Britain’s three other gas distribution networks are also providing funding for the project.

Work will now begin on delivering a 100% hydrogen demonstration network in Levenmouth, Fife, that will bring carbon-free heating and cooking to around 300 homes from the end of 2022.

The project will provide compelling evidence of hydrogen’s performance in a real-world domestic setting as a zero-carbon energy source, as the Scottish and UK Governments look to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2045 and 2050 respectively.

(£25 million, and 300 homes…. or £83,000 per home)

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

...and they will produce it using natural gas!

There is such a golden opportunity to get the UK on a modern and more efficient system. I wonder why they avoid the issue and promote a somewhat archaic form of heating and power use. It is some simple. Invest more in providing electricity and use what they plan to spend of that aspect thus bringing prices down.

I do believe though that there are some serious issues pumping 100% hydrogen around our 45 year old + network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I forgot to remark that there are too many vested interests, wanting to preserve what they have, trying to steer the Government in a particular direction. It is time for a radical change from old highly inefficient systems, dependent on resources that are declining and the use thereof is damaging the climate. If hydrogen plants can be built to produce it cheaply then it is better they are employed to use the hydrogen to produce electricity than worry about the costs of upgrading the current system around the UK. Which we will all have to pay for. Probably with an increased levy on natural gas users! One can see it coming already!

How many homes could get solar panels, ground source heat pumps, wind generators etc. from that funding?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

All the Government needs to do is invest in providing the power in as green a way as possible, helping people convert systems when the time comes, convert away from wet systems that is. By all means invest in hydrogen but hydrogen used to generate electric power. The problem with the latter is there are two ways of producing hydrogen, the main and cheapest is use natural gas. The other is err…. use electricity to make it.

I am not an expert but I can’t believe hydrogen, which has quite different properties to natural gas, it can leak where gas would not, can so daily replace natural gas - as those with vested interests would have us believe. I am sure there is a massive financial saving to be made in the long term by focusing on electricity. There is a whole industry around gas which I am sure those in power are fearful of upsetting and the knock on consequences but there are times when the bullet must be bit for the greater good.

There is sufficient nuclear waste for most homes to be powered by a small power plant. That has been the case since the late 1960s. But they dare not do it! I suspect though that mini power plants may well become the norm but I will be below the turf when that happens.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

and more hydrogen “news” today..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55218573

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Whilst this sounds like “today” some of this appeared quite some time back. I note the article refers to hydrogen’s propensity to leak! Wonder how our existing pipe network can cope with that, its 55 years old.