QUIZ: Global Wind Day

• Community Manager
  • 987 replies

Today marks Global Wind Day (I know what you're thinking, and no not that kind of wind)!

pYxxG-1oadtL23Ku7Wg9wzRHRZrrVSgmoq9T-_jQfz8coJEDdCDNwDDCBAt8wd0YSYtA2WIvgAceXkGxzhVnMjZHn3MXsqgRV9wX6IXcKaCCvmhDO9GcHOxGTEpfNRp-3wqRFuvK

We’ve seen the bladeless ‘skybrator’, but have you heard about vertical-axis wind turbines (VAWT)?

They’ll be tricky to scale at the moment - they’ll need more space (due to needing more individual VAWTs) and materials in order to produce the same amount of energy as horizontal-axis wind turbines (HAWT) - these being the wind turbines we all know and recognise already.

However, they’re handy for residential or small-scale projects. Their size means they can be fitted in cities and on rooftops - something the HAWT’s can’t do. 

Here’s a handy 60 sec video that tells you more:

Now onto a wind quiz to celebrate Global Wind Day! 

What is the largest source of renewable electricity in the UK?

Wind energy

Gwynt y Mor is one of the UK’s largest wind farms- how many homes is it capable of powering per year?

400,000 homes

When was the first commercial onshore windfarm built in the UK?

November 1991

As of December 2020, how many wind turbines were there in the UK?

Last year, what percentage of Pure Planet’s energy came from wind?

89%

What percentage of the UK’s energy came from wind in 2020?

24.8%

How many did you get right?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for not popping in a question about me, Mads 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🏃‍♀️💨💨💨

Love your quizzes, I shall have a go after the Murray match 🎾👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Zero out of six 🤭😳😢😢😢😢😢

Not even close! 

Learning lots tho with these fun quizzes 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👩‍🎓

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

100% 1 out of 1 - Did not take part from question 2.

Great Quiz!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

One out of 6. 😭

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Zero!!!  🤣😫🤣

Good quiz @Mads 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Let’s stand in the naughty corner together Scubes 🤪🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hahaha 😅🤣😀 @Bev 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Didn’t even attempt to guess, went straight for the answers I’m afraid :shrug_tone1:

That was quite interesting though, it would be good if more things like this can be used alongside solar panels, particularly on homes and businesses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I didn’t know any of the answers.

They were going to call them Upright Wind Axis Turbines but no one could hear the name properly, they all said you what?

Tangential Wind Axis Turbines came a close second but that was rejected too.

Adjusting my sail as we speak, I’m sailing far too close to the wind…

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍👍👍👍very good our Wozeeta

#fawlty

I am glad you all enjoyed it! I wasn’t sure on most of the answers either - always interesting to see if our guesses are on the mark or not. 

@woz took me a few seconds for that one to click, very funny indeed!!

What are people thinking on these tulip turbines? An ‘eco-art’ design, I think they look rather cool, more importantly they’re less of a danger to wildlife!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Cool indeed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Not sure 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔, not sure about those at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

What are people thinking on these tulip turbines? An ‘eco-art’ design, I think they look rather cool, more importantly they’re less of a danger to wildlife!

Great, although there is not enough research as to whether the LF generated has unexpected consequences. They should decorate them with spinning and illuminated art that looks different depending on speed. (but not paid for adverts - too Blade Runner)

That is a fab idea @woz !