POLL: Commercial fishing is the “biggest offender” to our oceans, does this change your fish eating habits?

• Community Manager
  • 987 replies

This week marked World Oceans Day. The UK government has announced that Highly Protected Marine Areas will start coming into play by the end of 2022 to mark the occasion. Their purpose will be to aid the protection and recovery of marine environments. This is brilliant news, ocean pollution has been in the news a lot lately, but the press has been mostly negative…

ATsgo0aiA-gM7RzF0LVRVdpGaP4xIfpM5XYMIuL1_6a7JKitoqsycG7azaWKcE7GfQxCD4V8hHa7lehLh2wIgIqBXEhbd2RZB6Bqm-lb7UHQs_AMxH8VGMxcsEIKAGrtH7iJDmCM

Netflix recently released a documentary called ‘Seaspiracy’ which looks at the commercial fishing industry. Did anyone here watch it? - it’s well worth a watch if not! There were a few things that stood out to me in the documentary. 

It looks at slogans such as ‘Dolphin Safe’ and how, often, they can mean little in terms of protecting our oceans and marine life. It appears the slogan may be all talk and no trousers, unfortunately. 

The documentary also uncovered that the majority of the ocean's rubbish is fishing related - the main offender being plastic fishing nets. There is a rather heated interview with the CEO of the Plastic Pollution Coalition, where she refuses to give commercial fishing any accountability in terms of ruining the oceans. 

Commercial fishing was also revealed to cause more shark deaths than the shark finning industry (which is often deemed the main culprit)! In fact, a whopping 50 million sharks are affected each year. There is more info on that here.

The documentary received mixed reviews and has become well known due to its controversial look into the fishing industry. Many of those involved said their interviews and words were taken out of context, which has given it even more media attention. 

Given the controversy surrounding the fishing industry, are you thinking of changing your approach to eating fish?

Let us know your thoughts in the replies!

Given the exposure of the fishing industry, will this change your approach to eating fish?

24 replies

Seaspiracy has a credibility problem especially as some of the dated research they quote is from a researcher extrapolating even older data well into the future. This researcher has since changed their opinion.

PS I haven’t watched the show, but BBC’s More or Less did an interesting piece on it.

Nevertheless, clearly there are improvements to be made as well as dramadocs to be made

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Everyone decides for themselves what’s right for them and their family, but I bought these today 👍😉

💕👍🐳🐠🐡🐟🦑🦐🐙💕

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m listening and will continue to listen and regard my weekly fish purchase as a real treat.

We like most fish accept farmed fish. I no longer cook farmed salmon but will eat smoked salmon. Not sure if I’ve just gone off Salmon or its that farmed fish taste...

I guess the clams we had last week where farmed so I guess a contradiction too.

I can’t see across the world communities giving up fish until its all gone. 

Protected areas makes a lot of sense if those protected areas are adhered to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I shall be having a chat with our aged  (20y+) goldfish about this later…

disclaimer:

It’s obvious that fishing and in particular over fishing has destroyed our marine environments (along with increased acidity and global warming) so I wouldn’t eat it even if I did.. but I don’t...

Everyone decides for themselves what’s right for them and their family, but I bought these today 👍😉

💕👍🐳🐠🐡🐟🦑🦐🐙💕

Yes but with tomato sauce, not tartare sauce as pictured on box.

Am I right? I am, aren’t I?

(Sorry going a little bit off topic).

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

No you’re 200% wrong. Tomato sauce is 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮our Marcus, and certainly NOT with fish. It’ll be fresh 🍋with mine hee, as per pic, and some BRITISH limed asparagus, #wee our Marc 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Wowsa our Wozeeta 😳😳😳😳😳

My parents have a gorgeous outdoor goldfish in their pond, Cheryl. She’s 18 and we thought that truly amazing? So, 20 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳! WOW 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I watched this a few weeks ago. Bit of an eye opener. I have definitely cut it out for now while I’m attempting to do some extra research of my own and thank you @25 quid for pointing some issues out here.

While there will always be some level of inaccuracies it is still important for us to consider that in geeral we, as a species, are cosuming far too much and I dont feel that it should be necessary for fishing to be taking place the way that it is currently. lots of things need to be reviewed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Many years ago daily snorkelling (some diving) in Indonesia there was locals in small boats using explosives (damaging the corals) to catch fish. If the over (so called) educated Western society’s (from un educated schools) don’t lead by example then how can over fishing be resolved.  Re-wilding needs to be escalated in every quarter of our existence.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Wowsa our Wozeeta 😳😳😳😳😳

My parents have a gorgeous outdoor goldfish in their pond, Cheryl. She’s 18 and we thought that truly amazing? So, 20 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳! WOW 

@Bev Over 20 I think, I can’t remember the date but I shall get exact details from SWMBO as (unfortunately) she has a very good memory...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

There ya go, ya beauty 

💕💕💕💕

We like the Plant Pioneers battered fishless fillets with wedges/chips and mushy peas.

We did try making our own battered "fish" from banana blossom but it was a massive faff so we are happy to stick with the premade version and have it now and again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Not tried that brand, Mark. Thank you. Find a lot of supermarkets tend to stock a lot of vegan, but been slow on stocking Vegan fish, but it’s improving each week. Good to see 👍👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Not tried that brand, Mark. Thank you. Find a lot of supermarkets tend to stock a lot of vegan, but been slow on stocking Vegan fish, but it’s improving each week. Good to see 👍👍👍

Re stocking vegan fish?

I must admit I don’t like much fish and therefore trying to reduce my intake of fish isn’t something that would effect many of my meal choices.

However, I love a fish finger butty! I will try the Quorn ones - @Bev if the picture is anything to go by I’d say they look rather delicious. Tartare sauce every time for me, a bit of fresh onion, nice thick white bread (or sourdough), bit of tomato and Bob is your uncle! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m sooooooo into sourdough at the moment! Loving it toasted, drizzled in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, then chopped baby sugardrop tomatoes on top 💕💕💕💕💕💕👍

I truly loved the quorn fishfingers Mads, I think your little combination sounds perfect 👍, fannies ya aunt! 

@Bev I love sourdough! That sounds delicious - funnily enough I know the family that grow sugardrop tomatoes- small world ey!

I am glad you approve :smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

No absolute way! OMG impressed Mads! 😳😳😳😳😳👍🍅🍅🍅🍅

Please please please do tell them how much I honestly truly love them! I’m really fussy re tomatoes 🍅🍅🍅as if you buy standard, they’re soooooo bland. Always look for the baby ones, in the “extra special” ranges and bought Piccolo, think that’s what they’re called, for ages. These sugardrop bad boys started appearing in Morrison’s recently and I’ve never looked back! Oh it’s wonderful when ya hear where they’re from, and know comments can be relayed. Ah lovely to hear, Mads 😳👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏🍅💕🍅

Ahh @Bev that is so lovely to hear, I will let them know! It’s my friend’s family who grow them, he’ll be so pleased to hear you love them :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s truly made my day, and that’s no lie Mads, soooooo chuffed that they will know just how much I love their produce. Thank you, Mads, thank you 😳👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

You’re very welcome @Bev!!! I love small world connections like this it’s wonderful :grinning:

I’m really fussy re tomatoes 🍅🍅🍅as if you buy standard, they’re soooooo bland. 

Apparently keeping them in the fridge destroys their flavour. It’s chemistry. So store them at room temperature.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Always, Notes. Always. Sooooo many don’t realise, including my mum. Keep reminding her. Same with strawberries. They do need eating on the day ideally, as soon as washed. 

Ah, strawberries, of course!