Hot Topic

People want to be more sustainable. What's stopping them? Find out the results of our survey!

• 19 November 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi everyone, 

Each year we carry out a survey of 2000 people across Britain, to learn more about people’s attitudes towards sustainability - and this year’s results are in! 

It’s been a difficult year to say the least, and putting sustainability at the heart of our recovery has been a big piece of news emerging over the last few months. With that in mind, it’s been particularly interesting to read this year’s results. 

The big piece of good news from the survey is more than three quarters (78%) of people asked are committed to reducing their environmental impact where possible. :raised_hands:

That being said, 8 out of 10 people felt they could do more.

Here are some sneak previews from the report… 

Which of the following choices have you made in the past 12 months?

Reducing single use plastic proved to be a popular action!

And when looking at what may be preventing people from living more sustainably, one of the notable results was cost...

Is it more expensive to lead a sustainable lifestyle?

As a result, one of Pure Planet’s co-founders @Steven Day pointed out,

“we are all human and we are all imperfect. But making things easier would make a big difference: making the sustainable choice the default choice.”

The full report is available to read here along with our latest blog post, and delves further in to peoples’ thoughts on living sustainably and what may be blocking them from doing so. 

We’d love to hear your reaction, and thoughts on what you’ve found has helped you live more sustainably. 

You may also be interested in: We’ve saved 1 million tonnes of CO2! Special spotlight on Pure Planet Community members to celebrate

7 replies

Really interesting read. I was surprised at the difference in the results between the age groups, I expected the younger generation to be much more environmentally aware. As someone who sits between the age ranges in the report with 2 children under 10 it’s certainly shown me I need to do my bit to ensure they are educated on things like buying seasonally and shopping local. For example when you can buy strawberries 365 days a year in the supermarket some of this knowledge gets lost. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Out of interest, how are the 2000 selected?

Userlevel 4

Love looking at data results like this but I can spend hours reviewing it 😂 this is like my version of an Instagram story🤔😀

Love looking at data results like this but I can spend hours reviewing it 😂 this is like my version of an Instagram story🤔😀

Glad you’re enjoying it @Sbeagen:raised_hands:  I love it too - especially because we’ve been doing the survey for a few years now, it’s great to be able to compare responses year on year and see how opinions are shifting (or not as the case may be) :relaxed:

Really interesting read. I was surprised at the difference in the results between the age groups, I expected the younger generation to be much more environmentally aware. As someone who sits between the age ranges in the report with 2 children under 10 it’s certainly shown me I need to do my bit to ensure they are educated on things like buying seasonally and shopping local. For example when you can buy strawberries 365 days a year in the supermarket some of this knowledge gets lost. 

That’s fantastic @ChrisH,  thanks for posting! So glad to hear the results were of interest to you. It definitely surprised me too - I would’ve predicted the same as you RE the younger generations.

What’s great, though, is being able to see the results of a survey like this and using it to think about what we can do to help. That’s both as a company, of course, but also from an individual point of view - I love your point about helping your children understand where their food comes from. :raised_hands: 

In fact, I’m moving house soon (hopefully!) and have already found out about a great local fruit/veg shop that deliver seasonal veg boxes round the local area for a great price :grin:  so it’s definitely an example of what we can do to help. I wonder if options like that will become more popular as people think more about their carbon footprint and where their food has come from?:thinking:

Out of interest, how are the 2000 selected?

Good question - the survey is run by our friends at Opinium who gather 2000 people that’ll ensure a wide national representation :thumbsup:

It raises a good point, actually, that therefore the people surveyed aren’t necessarily on supply with Pure Planet, so it hopefully gives a better idea of opinions across the UK as a whole. 

@Nataly there is a place near me that does veg boxes and allows people with allotments locally to trade any fruit or veg they have a glut of. Really great idea in my eyes.

The farm near me grow their own potatoes so love heading up this time of year to collect them literally straight out the ground. I’m lucky I suppose to live in a semi-rural area.