Introducing Winsley Wood: PP's very own woodland

• Community Manager
  • 984 replies

We’re delighted to tell you all about Pure Planet’s very own woodlands!
On 25 January this year (2021) we donated a tree for every Pure Planet team member - which was a wonderful 140 at that time! We teamed up with Winsley Parish Council to have the trees planted, creating our very own Winsley wood! Winsley is about 5 miles south of Bath, so a nice jaunt from the office.

_tkyvIWi1H3vRF5QXvMtss-OhJ9XHQXKg5KFc_p77-R-wsTYf8kv3709yFohh24JiB_vJHVVbqucrX8x1KGrTJjH1X3iUD4u3kH13tYgCAAm_hvn2Uj7LsqIZsCqkspuVQxsn4gf

The trees are currently still small and camouflaged by the meadow surrounding them, but eventually they’ll grow into a beautiful wood. It may take a few years!

Some of our lovely team (not forgetting Maisy, Andrew’s dog) have been to visit our Winsley wood over the last few weeks:

1_TCQXu0W7xvWlUxj4UsbAkpYBVQtO0NGtnr6kiimgxBT9xM58HwjTrueSv6DGey-JL09SrPy5HCOur8xq4e6CUloFLF4uXVpokdZmF9Aigy50uG3HctCM3WUUAxuP9Zf0l8Nm1T

In 100 years a tree can absorb about 1 tonne of CO2. So... our mathematicians calculate that Winsley wood could absorb 140 tonnes of CO2. Which is flippin fantastic!

That equates to:

• 140 years of powering an electric car 

• 10,080 trips between Amsterdam and Paris by train

• 91 households powered for a year

59U2rxmp-JFtnkS_CH3un45OgdRnsylYwqF_RRdVbdYEmc1GfefGLUW_MkZX9W7Ni7kv112uCVOn1pEwE5IR4Rb20q2oYJrTBJPSETDB9MzhXyXsEeUWfYCnVWzPYGSqahu1A2jK    Kmn0v9UJFkScKOuVVKY9odgqtt-NzPUs-Uza0x2AAk8aZZYQKV715r3g2h1_huuvM78Jsa0XKNFXmWVDcOlcvO5qhPTzbS_l0slCbeDvsMjNGRVA7NmB0sNYlRDoXWDrwZMwiqiW

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Oh love that! What a gorgeous place for tranquility, mmmmmm, can feel it just from the photo! 

Excellent idea 👍👍👍👏👏👏, and loving the Springer Maisie 💕💕💕👍

Fab work, PP 🌳🌳🌳👏👏👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah, that's brilliant! 🌳🌳🌳

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That's wonderful, what a lovely idea.

@Mads is it Woods or Forest, your post says Woods, but the sign in the photo says Forest

That's wonderful, what a lovely idea.

@Mads is it Woods or Forest, your post says Woods, but the sign in the photo says Forest

Website says ‘Forest’ Winsley-Forest-Poster.jpg (874×1240) but that may not be referring to just Pure Planet’s bit?

Great to have physical evidence of an offset!

@Scubaseahorse good question! It is a wood, it’s quite a narrow strip of trees so not quite a forest (but maybe one day)!

@Gwyndy I think you could be right!

Let us hope the rabbits and other animals don’t eat them or vandals have a go. Our local Council recently planted a lot of small holly trees and one or two others in an open area. All had protective sleeves but it was not long before some were to be seen lying on the ground and many have died. They did plant a lot so sufficient remain. I suspect in years to come good husbandry may not be there. The Church Commissioners planted many trees in a planting strip behind my house in 1997. Some were no more than a metre apart. Nobody ever came back to thin them out. They are now massive. Getting the Church Commissioners to do something proved a massive effort. So planting is fine but they need looking after - just like all of us! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

That's wonderful. Great work PP

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Very encouraging - good stuff PP!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Well done PP :)

The power of tiny forests. Really interesting National Geographic article here on how even a ‘forest’ the size of a basketball court can make a difference. :heart_eyes:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

And this little excerpt from my Monty book, as I’m just reading the tree chapter at mo…..

🌲👍💕

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

And this little excerpt from my Monty book, as I’m just reading the tree chapter at mo…..

🌲👍💕

Nice one! 

@Bev Monty always puts things so beautifully!

Looks like we’re not the only ones growing trees! :deciduous_tree:The National Trust plans on planting 20 million trees across the United Kingdom by 2030. They’ve already planted 60,000 trees, including 9,000 trees on their Sherborne Park Estate in Gloucestershire. They’re planting with purpose - making sure to plant the trees in places that help nature and livestock to thrive. 
If you’d like to have a look at some tree planting on an even grander scale, check out this map that shows where ‘afforestation’ is taking place around the world. Afforestation refers to new forests being planted in areas of land that were without trees. Hoorah to that! :slight_smile:

Watched an interesting programme the other evening about tree planting and the experts were saying it is better to just let Nature do its own thing. Left to its own trees will appear, plants will thrive, insects, and other wildlife will turn up, birds to eat the insects and berries, bigger birds to eat the smaller ones, and the mice that appear, deer and over animals to help keep things at bay, providing their own food chain as well. A system that just works. I could not help but think though a few extra trees will not go amiss. It is not just the C02 they take in nor the wood they produce for us, nor the nuts and fruits for our consumption, but trees do something for us mentally. So nice to be out in a woodland. Enjoying it all. Breathing it in.

As an add on to my above post I received an email the other day and the author had a quote in the signature:

“Observe the wonders as they occur around you. Don’t claim them. Feel the artistry moving through, and be silent.”

The author was Jalal ad-Din Mohammad Rumi. A Persian poet who lived from the 30th September 1207 until the 17th December 1273.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Very very similar to my Cheddar Gorge pic and prose our Rich, which I’ve posted before. Very true.