Halogen lightbulbs (for your home) can no longer be sold after September 2021...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 13039 replies

No more halogen lightbulbs after September 2021, fluorescents to follow, and new energy ratings.

hmmm...but does that mean no more incandescent lightbulbs at all as it would make no sense to sell incandescent lamps that aren’t halogen?  (Halogen lamps are more efficient than standard incandescent lamps thus lower wattage for the same light output).

Also there will be a few special cases where halogen equivalents either aren’t available or aren’t suitable. (My very recently purchased Panasonic microwave has an incandescent lamp in it - shame on Panasonic)

I still have one low voltage but relatively high wattage incandescent lamp, I’ve been meaning to change the fitting for ages, I’d better get my bottom in gear…

China will have a field day with this legislation. 

Does anyone else still have an incandescent lamps in their homes?

Fluorescents are also going to be replaced after 2023.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

No incandescent light bulbs being utilised, have some Fluorescents in the loft, but hardly ever used.

I have a bag of incandescent light bulbs not used?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Strutt G 

LOL

I have several boxes full of them and ditto the loft lights although recently added a couple of led lights!

I reckon if I keep them long enough they’ll become museum pieces. I couldn’t stand those curly fluoros, incredibly irritating waiting for them to warm up. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ha ha, re curly fluoros, funny how I chucked them out, but retained the MP’s.

I doubt I’ll change the loft fluoro’s as we’re gonna move at some point. My dad loved them, round ones long ones matched with polystyrene tiles. He made these round and diamond molds on the end of screw drivers so you could heat the mold and cut shapes out of the tiles. When you looked up to the ceiling every joined tile corner had say an orange or black coloured shape. You can imagine that with the fluoros, it was a dazzling experience….lol

I’ve still got incandescent in some seldom used places and assumed it was better to not throw away a perfectly good bulb and consume a new high-tech one instead...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’ve still got incandescent in some seldom used places and assumed it was better to not throw away a perfectly good bulb and consume a new high-tech one instead...

I was originally keeping ours so that we take our efficient/costly bulbs with us when we move. Leaving the new occupants with the incandescents. I’m now publicly admitting how selfish etc etc that is. Phew got that off my chest. Do you want my stock?

Haha, I’ve got a big box of bulbs too! Plus some lovely coloured ones from when I was a student. The Blue one was a bad buy! 

None of them get out much now...

I’ve got a fluorescent strip light in the loft, I believe the outside sensor lamps by the front and back doors, and the bathroom lamp - are incandescent, a but as I can’t get in to any of their fittings I can’t check.

Everything else is some form of energy saver.

My father-in-law used to struggle with Energy Savers (something to do with this epilepsy) hopefully the LED ones don’t have the same effect.

The important thing to remember about energy saving lamps is that to save the most you have to leave them on all the time! 😉 

#children

They will all get replaced with LED bulbs, I've changed my lights in house to all LED including fluorescent light in kitchen that's been changed to a LED looking fluorescent light and is brighter and much better looking and at same time uses less energy 😁😁

Changed all mine bar three to LEDs a long long time ago. The ceiling halogen lights (GU10s I think they are) are one hell of a fire risk. Two I haven’t changed are in the cooker hood. I must source something that fits.  Think the size is GU9. The third is an odd light fitting and I will wait until we change the whole fitting - one day, it’s in the downstairs loo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Changed all mine bar three to LEDs a long long time ago. The ceiling halogen lights (GU10s I think they are) are one hell of a fire risk. Two I haven’t changed are in the cooker hood. I must source something that fits.  Think the size is GU9. The third is an odd light fitting and I will wait until we change the whole fitting - one day, it’s in the downstairs loo.

@G4RHL if they are screw fitting likely to be SES (Small Edison Screw), this for example.

No they are not a little screw. G9s is what they is, but some G9s have longer socks which make them difficult to fit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

No they are not a little screw. G9s is what they is, but some G9s have longer socks which make them difficult to fit.

@G4RHL ahhh you said gu9, sorry and as it happens the lamps in our hood are SES hence my confusion

We’ve slowly been changing all of the ones in our new house anyway! It was one of the first things I tackled when we moved in. :smile:

I think we’ve got two left now…

The only issue we’ve had with LEDs so far is that they’re too bright. Need to get some ‘worse’ ones! 

@Nataly Usually people complain about LEDs being too dull!

It’s a long time ago I changed to LEDs and I noticed a small drop in my electricity consumption. All mine are Philips Hue bulbs, not the cheapest, but very reliable. I have had one failure in about 4 or more years and that is because I dropped it. The advantages of their system is that you can vary the intensity of the light through an app and also, if you have the colour bulbs, change the colours. If you are into pulsating music then you can set things so that the colours change and pulsate with the beat. I am sure that at times  from the outside my study must appear like the room of a lady of leisure in Amsterdam. Philips also have smart plugs, button switches, dimmer switches, sensors etc. I use their smart plugs to power things like computers and PSUs setting a routine so that they operate when wanted. Or switch off at a certain time if you have forgotten to. I have set one up to control an electric radiator that burns at 2.4kW. Philips will not advise that but they are rated at 15 amps which should be OK up to 3kw but if any reader tries this take care and keep an eye on it.

We don’t use switches to switch on downstairs lights. We ask Siri to switch them in and off when required.

Fluorescent lights and some PSUs can burn out a smart plug if you try to use one to control them. It’s the surge of power needed to fire up the tube or PSU can be too much. It welds the relays in the smart plug and it no work anymore.

A friend bought an apartment. In his lounge all the ceiling lights were GU10 halogen ceiling lights. He accessed the roof space above the ceiling and found that in every single case the halogen had started to melt the ring main cable feeding them with the heat they put out. All were replaced with LED GU10s and new wiring.

I really would advise any reader here who uses halogen bulbs to ditch them if possible. Not just a fire risk but you can get badly burnt from one that has been on. With LEDs you can change a bulb and not get burnt.

On the continent of Europe and the USA they are into screwing, we are going that way, slowly, we are one of the few countries using bayonet fittings. Adapters for either are readily available and cheap.

Here endeth the lesson!  Sort of “Have you seen the light”! 

A friend bought an apartment. In his lounge all the ceiling lights were GU10 halogen ceiling lights. He accessed the roof space above the ceiling and found that in every single case the halogen had started to melt the ring main cable feeding them with the heat they put out. All were replaced with LED GU10s and new wiring.

I really would advise any reader here who uses halogen bulbs to ditch them if possible. Not just a fire risk but you can get badly burnt from one that has been on. With LEDs you can change a bulb and not get burnt.

Also it’s good practice to remove the insulation above halogen bulbs if they are installed in a room below the loft. Sounds like in your case it wasn’t insulation to blame, just a confined space.