Future of renewables - a bladeless 'skybrator' in the garden?

• Community Manager
  • 6863 replies

Not sure what the neighbours would think, but how would you feel about having your very own wind turbine at home?

The ‘vortex bladeless’ is said to be able to harness wind power without blades.

Vortext bladeless on Instagram

It generates renewable energy from vibrations.

The Guardian reckons it has an ‘unmistakeably phallic design’ but could, along with solar panels, soon become a common feature in UK homes.

Would you be up for having one?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

OMG 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳How hilarious (and rude) does that look?! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Do you think I could fit one on my balcony?! 🙃🤷‍♀️🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Not sure what the neighbours would think, but how would you feel about having your very own wind turbine at home?

The ‘vortex bladeless’ is said to be able to harness wind power without blades.

Vortext bladeless on Instagram

It generates renewable energy from vibrations.

The Guardian reckons it has an ‘unmistakeably phallic design’ but could, along with solar panels, soon become a common feature in UK homes.

I would love one....neighbours wouldn't tho!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Absolute whopper innit 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳

Guess, over time, like everything the aesthetics will greatly improve, and they may just catch on!  

My only concern would be the noise levels from it vibrating, would have been much better if the video had no music.

My only concern would be the noise levels from it vibrating, would have been much better if the video had no music.

Good point @Gwyndy I’ve no idea what sound it emits. My guess is similar to EVs…. that ‘whine’ noise?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I said to my wife we should get a bladeless skybrator, she said something I can’t repeat about going to Ann Summers and hasn’t spoken to me since...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Can’t believe it’s taken this long for a reply along those lines our Wozeeta 👍👍👍👏👏👏🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Bev LOL, I must have been sleeping...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hee hee hee! You’ve brought the fun factor back to the forum again our Woz 👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Soda that doesn’t pop

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, we'd have one

Yes, we'd have one

I think we would too @Scubaseahorse! Though I’d probably prefer solar panels :grinning::sunny:

Badge

Yes :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Marc It looks like a bleeding great phallic symbol!  @woz has beaten me to the other comment I would have made. Wonder where the batteries go! I bet it makes the ground tremble if nothing else when it gets going. The Skybrator I mean, not the Ann Summers product! Did you know the Ann Summers shops do not need to be licensed as a sex shop? They get round it. I once sent a Licensing Officer to inspect premises alleged to be trading unlawfully. Back she came with the report that they seemed to sell a lot of batteries.

Seriously. This sounds like the Dyson fan that was developed a few years ago but working in reverse. Great idea if it works. Not only that I could put one up in my back garden and as it’s “green” no objections but I could discreetly use it as a radio mast. Don’t need batteries for that!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Rich, I was sooooo waiting for you and your funny comments much much earlier! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I note the comment in The Guardian newspaper. “A similar device might be found in your mother’s dresser drawer.”