A festive 21-day Pure Planet Community challenge special: Mindfulness

• 1 December 2021
  • 32 replies

• Community Manager
  • 1239 replies

As we head into the festive period and merriment fills the air, we may often reflect on the year ending and the year ahead. 

As our @Bev said, Christmas is a time when thoughts of others are at the forefront of our minds. 

Some of our wonderful Community Members suggested one of the 21-day challenges could be a focus on mindfulness, so what better time to do it?

PzUmAJli8SU3-WTSLGWJSBAnI5rxEWRJD_nG0f8A99NXQDnqAsd0TS0wrrqxdm_0_7g8k0-SGe_sMNm1KRAzbspSXFxAxphwnK0NV-y8AW7K-6yMF9CA9zMQVQXXJroGtIlXVeoG

There are no rules for this challenge, we’d simply love to hear how you’re looking after yourself, or even looking after others. 

Have you taken up yoga? Are you visualising all the wonderful things you want to happen in 2022? Or are you quietly wrapping up warm with your favourite book?

We can’t wait to hear from you, tis’ the season to be jolly (and mindful :wink:)! 

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Really LOVE this challenge topic already, our Mads 👍👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏

Sometimes, when the word “mindfulness” is said, especially in workplaces for example, folk may roll their eyes, and think “load of hippy nonsense” and poo poo it. I already love how you’ve said there are no rules, Mads 👍, and suggesting it can be as simple or deep as you want it to be. Spot on. 

For me personally, I have never gone to any websites to explore it, have never ever done any classes, even online, and have never tried to tell others how to do it. It’s just been an individual thing, without me even realising I was using it. Honestly. I just assume it’s mindfulness, and find the little tricks I use, (and have used all my life looking back), work truly well for me, I guess I am lucky it’s just the norm. 

That brings me to it maybe not being the norm for so many peeps out there. MH has been brought to light sooooo much more since the pandemic, and so much more this century really. Maybe less than that, maybe just the last ten years or so. For me, mindfulness is right there, in that I have to remember not everyone has .…

1. The same chemical balance in their brain
  2. The same positive mindset
  3. The way the mind is programmed / wired. 

Remembering these three things, not only makes me feel blessed BUT makes me much much much more aware of others behaviour. Making me aware makes it soooooo less exasperating, as we learn to UNDERSTAND people’s behaviour / thoughts / actions etc. To know it could be purely the chemical balance misaligned that makes them sad or miserable, to understand their mindset may not automatically be a positive one, full of endorphins and dopamine for example. Or possibly a diagnosis of being on the spectrum, and not having the brain wired in the same way. It’s all about understanding and observing, 

I should keep my little, not tricks, but simple little methods til later maybe in the challenge, but may as well share whilst on a roll….…

I will share the actual mantras later, I shall save those for now, but putting the mantras up on my kitchen cupboards, to read as little fun reminders, whenever I’m cooking etc, is a great great help, just to remind myself of little things. As say, I shall share later, but whenever I am in there,  I am smiling, reading the fun, coloured hand written post it’s. They change about twice a year, but for now, what’s up there, I love, 

i shall also share later in the challenge, my visualisation methods. So so so simple, but something I have always done really. It’s just nowadays everything has a name, a label, but it’s nothing new really, it’s something everybody can do, at any age. 

Fantastic challenge! Really hope everyone will join in, and share little tips and snippets 👏👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

So this is just one of many POST - IT notes in kitchen. This one, I put up when I got my LIBRE2 in April this year. It was just a little goal I wanted to set myself. I’m pleased to say I exceeded my expectations, and achieved, to date, an even lower percentage, which measures blood glucose of Type 1 diabetes over a three month period.

But the reason for posting, is the goal can be absolutely anything, just a great fun way of seeing it daily, reminding yourself of it, and hopefully achieving it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

All my life, I feel I have embraced the simple things, hence my signature. Like a lot of likeminded people, it’s great to have the handy mobile phones to capture photos of so many wondrous things out there.

I’m astounded tho at how many just stare at their screens when out, or the floor when walking, not observing the beautiful sights and sounds. Yes it’s nice to escape, and this thread will be all about visualisation too and finding ways, for a few minutes, of blocking out the stresses of life. It’s a great ability. But it’s also soooooo important not to miss what’s right under our noses. 

Detectorists demonstrate this perfectly! 🤣👏👍🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hee, my new one. 

I know it’s of no interest to anyone else, and I have never shared it before, but it’s just the idea with the Post Its, to keep goals, or anything else, as a daily reminder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I suspect foul play here @Bev 

It’s really a coded spy message and I’ve now decoded it

it says...

I’ll meet you under the clock at the station, I shall be wearing a tin of carnation...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

LOL our Wozeeta 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣, it does look like secret code 👀hee hee, thanks for reading hee

Badge +5

I suspect foul play here @Bev 

It’s really a coded spy message and I’ve now decoded it

it says...

I’ll meet you under the clock at the station, I shall be wearing a tin of carnation...

You missed off “and a round white patch on the outside of my upper left arm”!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Do feel free to join in the challenge. All welcome 👍👍👍👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Bev your HbA1C targets for 2021 is the same as the target my husband set for himself.  He managed to achieve 45.  Very proud of him.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey Scubes! Loved hearing that! 😳👍Oh how well your hubby did! 👍👏And how fab he also set himself goals.👍 Nice to do it just for ourselves, the Libre2 really makes you strive to achieve more. It’s always at the forefront of the mind🙇‍♀️, even when finger pricking😖, but this fantastic sensor breakthrough, makes it sooooooo much more interesting👏👏👏👏, more achievable👏👏👏👏, and just more fascinating😳.

As you know too, our Scubes, it’s the same with the steps on the health apps⌚️📲🏃‍♀️. Once results are right there, under your nose👃👀, and made fun with graphs 📈📉📊and stats, it changes perception.

No way is diabetes wanted by anybody😖😖😖, but these fantastic breakthroughs, by incredible scientists🌈🔬👨‍🎓👩‍🎓, bring great hope for us now, and indeed the future patients. 

Well done, Mr Scubes! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉And a great example of what can be achieved with a great mindset 👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks @Bev I've passed your kind words on to 'Mr Scubes' - The diabetes nurses was pleased with him as well.

Your Libre2 has been life changing for you from the sound of it.  What a great life tool to help you on your way. Keep up the good work 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thank you so much Scubes ☺️x

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

It’s day like this especially, when it’s soooooooooooooo soooooooooooo wild out there, with ferocious storm Barra, and with Christmas approaching, that we see a lot more charity adverts on TV and emails etc. I like to also give thru the year, but a good few years back now, I also told everyone I would be doing donations in lieu of sending cards. 

Last night, I chose my three regular charities, Salvation Army, RSPCA, and Dogs Trust, plus added PDSA in as they’d also sent a kind email and video. Bit sad that I can’t add Gift Aid as receive no income, as they lose out quite a bit, but that’s how it is. Yet if I was claiming anything, I could tick the box. Same every year but seems a pity. They are always so so grateful in their email replies, and do not hound me throughout the year either. 

Today I am simply pottering, grateful of my piping hot 🚿🚿🚿, simple provisions, and warm cosy loungewear. Grateful of an early food shopping delivery and being able to stay warm and safe. Such simple things, that hopefully charities such as Sally Army can provide. 

That moves me on to warm childhood memories, of Salvation Army brass bands 🎷🎺🎷🎺🥁, every Christmas morning, thru the 70s. Just beautiful memories 🙇‍♀️💭💭💭💭💭💕of deep snow ☃️❄️☃️❄️☃️❄️☃️year after year, yet they never failed to come, all the neighbours donating on their doorsteps, the children all waving👋👋👋👋👋 with their new toys🏏⛸🎾🏸🎧🎲🎮🛴🚲. Magical. Just magical. And an easy example of simple visualisation, taking you right back to a really happy, simple place and time. 

Badge +5

The one charity I object to donating to is Smile, or SmileTrain. A couple of years back some friends had a ruby wedding celebration and asked that in lieu of gifts donations were made to Smile. I did and gift aided. They got my details and inundated me month after month with requests for money. Sometimes more than once a month. They ignored unsubscribe requests. I eventually wrote appropriately to their head office. The letters stopped coming.

If anybody is wondering, the rule with respect to Gift Aid is not that you have to be working, some think that is the case, it is only that you are a UK taxpayer. Folks do add Gift Aid if you can. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I always think I can’t add it anymore, but never 100% sure. I might start. It makes a huge difference. 

Hadn't even heard of that charity tbh, Rich! 

Writing down your goals is so brilliant @Bev, I love to do that too, I usually do little mind maps. On my current mind map one of the goals I got to tick off was having my car! :red_car: It’s fabulous to write things down as it helps to visualise them in your life, and once you’ve achieved them you can look back at all of the things you’ve accomplished and feel proud of yourself. :grinning:

I’ve recently started an in-person yoga class - I used to do a lot of online yoga, but I don’t find it quite the same, I’ve found a lovely class in my area with a really fab teacher, so that’s been a very calming hobby. I’m hoping to train to teach Iyengar yoga myself one day. :blush: 

@G4RHL I had no idea I could Giftaid until recently, I thought there may be weird rules around it, now I always do it though! 

Badge +5

@Mads Gift Aid is simple. Last year a chap walked into the Hospice. The conversation went:

Donor: “I don’t spend all my money these days and at Christmas I like to give to the Hospice. I have a cheque for £1,000.”

Me: “Are you a taxpayer?”

Donor: “Yes, why?”

Me: “Because at no cost to you, if you give me a couple of minutes to get the form, I can turn that gift from £1,000 into one of £1,250.”

He, like many others, thought he had to be working. He was retired and receiving pension.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

For one so young, our Mads, you have a very sensible head on your shoulders 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏. Gosh I DO sound 94 🤣but sincerely mean it. It’s refreshing. 

I used to adore aerobics back in the day (don’t say what’s that?!🤣🤣🤣) and I tried yoga at the gym afterwards and, back then, found it too slow. I would be sooooooo totally different now, but as aerobics and gym was sooooooooo high impact, I couldn’t embrace yoga. Many years later, a work friend invited me to a halfday yoga workshop. Friend attends weekly, without fail, and has for years, with this regular tutor, who also offers yoga holidays etc. I went along to try it, and really enjoyed it. It was totally different to how I had felt about it in my younger days. Since Covid, like you, my friend has been doing it online, with the tutor and their regular group, but think, like you, she prefers it face to face. I do find those spiky yoga balls good for rolling on the back muscles too. It’s great that you’re considering training to teach yoga, our Mads. Really great. There’ll always be a need for it I think, as it proves soooooo beneficial to soooo many people. Mind and body. 

I love that you embrace mind maps. I haven’t heard it called that, and that’s something I have learnt today. I do it, but never knew it was called that. As said before I think, so much has a label today ,but the technique is often something we’ve done without knowing.  Adore lists, and indeed goals, no matter how simple or how big, and achieving, and ticking off. You’ve done marvellous with your car goal, truly have, not to mention your job. 👏👏👏👍👍👍

Yes definitely always tick GiftAid, it makes a big big difference. As long as working, or on benefits, tick away. 

Smashing challenge yet again, our Mads 👍👍👍👍👍👍

Ahh thank you @Bev that’s made my day! Very of kind of you to say!:hugging:

Maybe one day we can do online yoga sessions then, Community yoga! 

I love lists for all things, shopping, packing, plans, to-do, goals. I love them! 

I’m so glad you’re enjoying the challenge, I agree it is a very nice one. :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Wouldn’t it be funny if, by chance, we met someone from the community here, in a totally different setting ! Of course, it’s not uncommon to do that, and come across someone later in life. Be funny tho all doing online yoga in years to come 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I am sooooooooo same with lists, Mads. Sooooooo same. Even tho we have sooooooooo much technology now, I still like good old pen and paper for my lists! And good old Post It Notes for my goals and reminders on kitchen cupboards. 

Badge +5

@Bev You could well be meeting somebody from here every day and not know it. There is a young lady from these parts and it may be we see each other from time to time but would never know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just a quick one, before I forget to write this one……

Our Jen has just reminded me of one I use frequently, yet hadn’t even thought of it til she was telling us of her idyllic home, in the dream Home thread, and how it would need WiFi to WFH. 

So, one I say to myself, almost daily in fact, and works parallel with visualising really I guess, is……..

”mmmmmmmmm, in an ideal world………..” knowing that, realistically a lot of my lovely visions would probably never happen, but in my head they do, and most certainly in an ideal world, they soooo would! Just picturing them in that ideal world in my mind for a few minutes, is enough to make me smile and feel happy. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Bev You could well be meeting somebody from here every day and not know it. There is a young lady from these parts and it may be we see each other from time to time but would never know.

Very true our Rich, very true, but in years to come, we may chat, I could be 104 by then, that’d make you 34,🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 and we’d say “oooooooh remember PP and their community….” and before ya know it, we could discover we were those bloomin community members! Bless hee! We may see an advert online in years and years to come, for a reunion 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 6
Badge

LOVE this thread :heart_eyes:

I made a few promises to myself this month:

Eat more mindfully and include food that’s nourishing rather than empty calories

Do my Leslie Sansone 15 minute mile video whenever I feel up to it (I’ve got a long term back and leg injury and sometimes exercising is not fun)

Take my supplements every day: vitamin D, magnesium, iron and vitamin C

I’m also trying to get to bed at a decent time so that I’m well rested in the morning… probably the thing I find hardest to do :joy:

Mum’s offered me a session with the lady that does her hypnotherapy, she offers things like reiki as well, so I’ll add that in to the “to do” list for this month along with using my Calm app to do a little meditation each morning.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Absolutely love ALL of yours, Jen, truly do. 

The empty calories one, sooooooooooo good, eat for fuel and nutrition, but the empty cal stuff, I can soooooo leave behind, very mindful of that indeed, like you. Good one 👍

Not heard of Leslie, but exercising with injury and long term conditions etc, I can fully get you, Jen. Not easy indeed, so nice to find something specific that you enjoy 💪and can do. 

Funny, cos one of my kitchen Post It Notes hee, at the start of the year, was try different supplements. I did, but every single one, no matter how fab the reviews, the brand, etc, all gave me morning sickness🤢🤮. Took me ages to work out it was those! Who knew eh! But it sooooo was! Now I continue with my healthy eating, zero nausea, it was deffo the supplement. Taken the Post It down, but glad to have discovered what the cause was👍👍👍.

You're a night owl🌚🦉 then Jen? I have always been an early lark. Reiki sounds good. What’s that other thing called? Needles? Ooooooh tippy of tonguey ooooooooh, acupuncture ya bugger! Awful! Don’t even go there with that! Massage and Reiki tho, 👍👍👍👍